The Ghost of Paul Revere brings holler folk to Waverly, Alabama

Photo courtesy of Cory Powell, junior in natural resources management.

People gathered in the “Little House,” a quaint, colorfully lit venue at the Standard Deluxe, with expectant faces and clinging glasses on Oct. 3, 2018, to hear The Ghost of Paul Revere play. 

This four-man “holler folk” band hails from Portland, Maine, and blends together thick harmonies, unfeigned lyrics and strings with banjo, bass and guitar. 

Griffin Sherry, singer and guitarist, said the band draws inspiration from literature and their own lives. 

“I like to write personal music most of the time, but will often tackle subjects and history if it speaks to me,” Sherry said.

Sherry wrote “Wild Child,” featured in their latest album, “Monarch,” after a messy breakup. 

“It found its footing exploring the idea of being attracted to the unattainable,” he said. “[It was] one of the types of songs you just sit down with a pen, and it’s written before it leaves the paper.” 

“Montreal” echoes a similar sentiment, as they sing, “Are we growing apart or are we growing up? Are we in a dream or are we waking up?” 

The concept of metamorphosis reverberates throughout the album, mulling over the change of lovers, life and music. 

Dillon Taylor, senior in ecological engineering, said, “They have a cool, unique sound to them. I listen to anything genuine with a little bit of heart.” 

The Ghost is hoping to release a new record in 2019, and Sherry said to expect something new with sounds rooted in the early '60s and '70s. 

Even if people haven’t heard “holler folk” before, Sherry said the band's passion is what often binds people to their music. 

For him, playing and writing can be both difficult and rewarding. 

“Perhaps that’s why I’m drawn to it so much,” he said. “Some days you really have to wrestle with it to find what you’re looking for and other days it’s like breathing.” 

The Standard Deluxe hosts a wide array of artists throughout the year, and is just 20 minutes away from Auburn. Tickets mostly range from $10 to $20, and it’s BYOB, or bring your own beer.   

Kayla McInroy, graduate student in sociology, said it has a “raw Southern” feel and shows are affordable. 

"Every once in awhile we find incredible places off the beaten path in our travels," Sherry said. "Standard Deluxe certainly makes that list." 

Share and discuss “The Ghost of Paul Revere brings holler folk to Waverly, Alabama ” on social media.