Auburn RB Asa Martin transferring from program after redshirt debacle

“That’s what it made me realize because there’s no way, again, at a D1 college that every stat, every play for play, every time you even take a snap that it’s not recorded.”

<p>Asa Martin (3) runs with the ball during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday, &nbsp;Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Asa Martin (3) runs with the ball during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday,  Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

After a freshman season marred by mismanagement of his redshirt, Auburn true freshman running back Asa Martin is transferring from the Tigers program, he announced on his Twitter on Saturday afternoon.

According to a story earlier this week by AL.com's Sam Blum, Auburn intended to play Martin in four games or fewer in order to extract an extra year of eligibility from the former 4-star back. Instead, Martin saw action during the Mississippi State game, which Auburn coaches thought was his fourth in-game appearance. It was his fifth, thus his redshirt was burned.

According to the report, then-offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey told Martin's mother after the mishap that he would become a factor in the offense now that his redshirt had been burned. He received no touches for the remainder of the season against Power 5 opponents.

“That made me realize that they didn’t have his best interest at heart,” Sharay Harris, Martin's mother, told AL.com. “That’s what it made me realize because there’s no way, again, at a D1 college that every stat, every play for play, every time you even take a snap that it’s not recorded.” 

Martin was Mr. Football in Alabama last year. He finished the season with 93 yards from scrimmage on 15 touches.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn RB Asa Martin transferring from program after redshirt debacle” on social media.