Chip Lindsey leaving Auburn to become offensive coordinator at Kansas

<p>Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey during pregame warm-ups. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey during pregame warm-ups. Auburn vs Alabama on Saturday, Nov. 25 in Auburn, Ala.

Chip Lindsey is headed to Kansas.

The second-year Auburn offensive coordinator will be joining newly hired head coach Les Miles' staff with the Jayhawks, the program announced Tuesday morning.

"It is a great day when you can add a coach like Chip Lindsey to your staff," Miles said. "He has a proven track record of putting exciting, electric offenses on the field and he also has built a strong reputation of developing his players."

With Lindsey as its offensive coordinator in 2017, Auburn ranked 26th in the nation in total offense while breaking a program record with 327 points during in-conference play. 

During a season that featured a conference championship berth, Lindsey's offense heralded the SEC's offensive player of the year in running back Kerryon Johnson. Johnson was complemented in the backfield by quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who became the second quarterback in program history to throw for more than 3,000 yards.

Prior to his hiring on The Plains in January 2017, Lindsey had previously worked the same position at Arizona State and Southern Miss. Before being hired at Southern Miss in 2014, Lindsey had served as an offensive analyst during Auburn's run to the BCS National Championship in 2013.

Lindsey leaving for Lawrence, Kansas, follows a Monday report that Lindsey would not return to the program for the 2019 season after reportedly interviewing for offensive coordinator openings at Tennessee and Kansas.

The coordinator's departure comes a week after negotiations with Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn's contract that would prohibit Malzahn from making coaching changes that were not revenue-neutral. 

Share and discuss “Chip Lindsey leaving Auburn to become offensive coordinator at Kansas” on social media.