Auburn in 4-team race for 2019 defensive back Jammie Robinson

<p>Jammie Robinson after a visit to Auburn on Jan. 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jammie Robinson after a visit to Auburn on Jan. 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

After an official visit, 2019 defensive back Jammie Robinson has Auburn among four suitors tied in his recruitment.

A three-star prospect out of Lee County (Leesburg, Ga.), Robinson is the No. 42 prospect in Georgia and No. 31 safety recruit in the nation, per 247Sports Composite. He’s one of Gus Malzahn’s top targets in the secondary, projecting as a nickel/star.

“Right now, it’s (South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Auburn)…it’s kind of like a tie right now,” Robinson said.

The visit was Robinson’s second after an unofficial trip to The Plains last spring.

“It went great,” Robinson said of the weekend. “Just getting a relationship with all the coaches and stuff. And hanging out with Coach Malzahn, that was a fun part. We went out to his house and hung out a little bit. We went fishing, and I haven’t been fishing in a while."

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and secondary coach Greg Brown have been Robinson’s primary recruiters. Robinson said he has an official visit with Tennessee set for next weekend, after which comes his decision period, when he’ll sit with his family and talk over the advantages and disadvantages of each program.

So, what would be Auburn’s primary advantage? Robinson said it would be seeing the field quickly — like freshmen defensive backs Christian Tutt, Roger McCreary, Smoke Monday and Jamien Sherwood all did in significant roles this past season.

“It would be me playing early,” Robinson said of the Tigers’ main draw. “Coach Steele was telling me how I can come in and contribute early and just come in and play early.”

Robinson added that his family thoroughly enjoyed the trip; his mother sported an Auburn pullover with his high school jersey number on it Sunday. His player host was rising junior defensive end Big Kat Bryant, who was one of Robinson’s teammates during his time at Crisp County High School in Georgia.

“It’s family,” Robinson said of Bryant’s primary message on the visit. “That’s what all the coaches preach to me. When you come in, they’re not going to open up the red carpet just because I’m on an official. They just come up and show us how it is every day.”

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn in 4-team race for 2019 defensive back Jammie Robinson” on social media.