Reports: Auburn great Cadillac Williams hired as Tigers' running backs coach

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, who holds the record for most touchdowns in Auburn program history, has been hired as the Tigers' new running backs coach, according to multiple reports

<p>Carnell Williams. Auburn vs. Ole Miss in Oxford, MS, on Saturday, October 30, 2004.</p>

Carnell Williams. Auburn vs. Ole Miss in Oxford, MS, on Saturday, October 30, 2004.

One of the best to wear the orange and blue is returning to The Plains. 

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, who holds the record for most touchdowns in Auburn program history, has been hired as the Tigers' new running backs coach, according to multiple reports Wednesday morning. Rivals' Jay Tate was the first to report the news.

Prior to agreeing to coach running backs for the Alliance of American Football's Birmingham Iron this past fall, Williams spent two years at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, coaching the same position.

A four-year player for the Tigers from 2001-04, Williams compiled 3831 rushing yards, good for second-most in Auburn history behind Bo Jackson. His 91.2 career yards per game is fourth all-time in the Auburn record books, and his 45 rushing touchdowns are first.

Williams was named All-SEC his junior and senior season and All-American his senior year.

After his illustrious career on The Plains, Williams was the No. 5 overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, winning rookie of the year with 1,178 yards and six touchdowns. 

Auburn moved Tim Horton, who had coached running backs for the Tigers since 2013, to an off-the-field role on Jan. 12.

An official announcement on Williams' hiring is expected later today, per reports. 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Reports: Auburn great Cadillac Williams hired as Tigers' running backs coach” on social media.