Q&A with Maddie Sullivan, candidate for 2019 Miss Auburn

Maddie Sullivan poses for a picture on Jan. 31, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Maddie Sullivan, junior in marketing, is one of five candidates for 2019 Miss Auburn. We sent a questionnaire to each of the candidates. The questions and Sullivan's responses can be seen below. Elections will be held Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

We gave each of the candidates for Miss Auburn 30 seconds to pitch their case to students. Here's what they said.

Q: What are the characteristics you want to exemplify when representing the University? 

A: Because of the nature of her role, I think it is incredibly important that Miss Auburn exemplifies confident leadership paired with humble service. She represents the diversity of our University and must be someone of character that can be trusted to lead and serve well. As Miss Auburn, I will exemplify integrity and initiative as I work to make the Auburn Family stronger. I will use my experience to position me to succeed; I will lead with humility, realizing my experience has been shaped by the individuals that have come before me and by those who have walked alongside me during my time at Auburn. As Miss Auburn, I hope to impact the lives of my fellow Auburn family for good. 

Q: Why do you care about Auburn University as a whole?

A: The Auburn community is unlike anything I have ever been privileged to be a part of. My time at Auburn has deeply shaped and moulded me into the woman I am today. I have learned the values of hard work, integrity, dedicated service, and an others-focused mindset during my time here. I have been impacted by the people that make up the Auburn family; their friendly spirit and desire to live lives of integrity have challenged me to step into leadership and use my gifts and talents to better my community. Auburn will always be more than just four years; I know that although my time at Auburn cannot last forever, I will always be a member of the Auburn Family. My desire to run for Miss Auburn stems from that sentiment. It would be the greatest honor to have a chance to more actively serve the university and community that has given so much to me. 

Q: What are the top priorities in your platform?

A: My platform focuses on three main points: integrity, influence, and impact. When we choose to be people of integrity, demonstrating honesty and truthfulness in our actions, we gain the trust of our peers. As we build relationships with those around us, our influence grows. We are each placed in specific communities and how we use our influence in those communities is what matters. As we step into influence, we have impact. That impact multiplies one by one as change happens in our world. My hope through my platform is to communicate to the Auburn family how much worth and influence we all have and to challenge each of us to be Auburn men and women of integrity. 

Q: What experiences have had the biggest impact on your Auburn experience? 

A: The times where I had the opportunity to connect with those around me and serve the Auburn community have had the biggest impact on my Auburn experience. Whether spending time with friends at Auburn Football games, volunteering with IMPACT and playing with the kids at Joyland Daycare or working with campus organizations such as AUDM, Reformed University Fellowship, UPC, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Panhellenic, I have been sharpened by the diversity of my peers and challenged to serve with deeper passion. In these experiences, I have learned so many lessons about how to be an individual of character and to better encourage those around me. 

Share and discuss “Q&A with Maddie Sullivan, candidate for 2019 Miss Auburn” on social media.