Auburn Athletics collecting donations for Lee County tornado relief

<p>Auburn's athletic director, Allen Greene, speaks at the&nbsp;celebration of Auburn's fifth equestrian national championship in Auburn, Ala. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.</p>

Auburn's athletic director, Allen Greene, speaks at the celebration of Auburn's fifth equestrian national championship in Auburn, Ala. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.

The Auburn University athletic department has announced it will be collecting donations of supplies on campus this week as part of the school's efforts to help tornado relief in the Lee County area.

Auburn is collecting supplies at Gate 14 outside Jordan-Hare Stadium and the McWhorter Center parking lot. Donations can be dropped off at both locations Friday from 4-7 p.m. CST and Saturday from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. CST. 

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene is urging fans attending sporting events on campus this weekend to bring donations.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the devastation in Lee County,” Greene said. “Auburn Athletics will collaborate with Auburn University leadership and local authorities to ensure that our relief and recovery efforts have maximum impact on those directly affected.”

Auburn Athletics is requesting the following supplies:

• Bottled water

• Diapers

• Baby formula

• Baby wipes

• Trash bags

• Packaged foods

• Hygiene products

• Work gloves

For more additional community outreach opportunities, visit Auburn's official tornado relief website here.

On Sunday, an EF4 tornado ripped through the Beauregard area, less than 10 miles from Auburn's main campus. Twenty-three people died, making it the deadliest tornado in the U.S. in six years.

Read more: What is known about the Lee County tornado victims

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn Athletics collecting donations for Lee County tornado relief ” on social media.