Auburn completes sweep of Tennessee after three-run eighth inning

<p>Rankin Woley (4) congratulates Edouard Julien (10) at the plate after the home run during Auburn baseball vs UT Martin on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. &nbsp;</p>

Rankin Woley (4) congratulates Edouard Julien (10) at the plate after the home run during Auburn baseball vs UT Martin on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.  

Auburn pulled off another win against the Volunteers on Sunday.

Butch Thompson's squad finished off the sweep of Tennessee to complete its first SEC series of the year. The 5-3 win gives the Tigers their 13th consecutive win before heading into eight straight road games.

“It's huge because we know when you turn the page now and go to another chapter, we know the next eight games are on the road,” Thompson said.

“We go from welcoming the hottest team in America, or one of them, this weekend. Tennessee was, on Thursday, one of the hottest teams in America. And now we’ll go play arguably one of the best teams in America on their turf.”

With Auburn down 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Edouard Julien hit a two-RBI single with two outs to score both Matt Scheffler and Will Holland to go up 4-3.

“I was just trying to go [opposite field],” Julien said. “I didn’t want to pull it. With two strikes I was just trying to put something in play and I was fortunate to put that slider into the outfield.”

Everett Lau came in to pinch hit for Conor Davis and reached on an error that allowed Julien to score, pushing Auburn's final lead to 5-3.

Auburn used six pitchers that combined to allow 10 hits and six walks while striking out just two.

“We came out today, and we could of easily, especially in the eighth inning when the game was tied and they had a guy come up and hit a bomb, we could of laid down and gave them the game and still won the series,” Holland said. “But we’ve got a lot of grit on our team and we really wanted this win today because we know how important they are later in the season.”

Next, Auburn travels to Birmingham to face UAB on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. CST and won't return home until April 2 after facing the Blazers, Mississippi State, Alabama and South Carolina on the road.

Share and discuss “Auburn completes sweep of Tennessee after three-run eighth inning” on social media.