Auburn shut out for 1st time this season in 4-0 loss to South Carolina

<p>Brooks Fuller (18) Auburn baseball vs. South Carolina via Auburn Athletics.</p>

Brooks Fuller (18) Auburn baseball vs. South Carolina via Auburn Athletics.

No. 12 Auburn’s bats went cold in Saturday’s game against South Carolina. 

For the first time this year, the Tigers were shut out in a 4-0 loss that evened the series at 1-1. 

In his second start of the year and first against an SEC opponent, Brooks Fuller was credited with the loss, pitching a career-high 5.0 innings. He allowed two runs on three hits and four walks, stricking out four and stranding four Gamecock runners in scoring position.

South Carolina (17-10, 2-6) took advantage of its power early in the game, with Ian Jenkins hitting a solo home run off of Fuller (1-1, 2.08) in the bottom of the second inning. 

In the sixth, Auburn ( 21-6, 5-3) faltered on the mound and defensively. South Carolina scored three more runs without recording a hit. The Tigers allowed four walks, had a passed ball, threw a wild pitch and committed an error in the inning.

Ryan Watson pitched the final 2.1 innings of the game and kept the Gamecocks from adding any more runs to the board. He struck out a career-high four batters.

"I thought that was maybe Ryan's finest outing as an Auburn Tiger,” said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson. "Three years of pitching or two and a half, I thought in some instances that was some of his best work that he's done in an Auburn uniform.”

While the Tigers were not able to get a run on the board, Kason Howell and Judd Ward tried to get the offense going. Howell had a multi-hit game for the second straight game. In three of the last four games, he has recorded multiple hits. In Saturday’s loss he also stole two bases for the third time this season. Ward extended his career-best hitting streak to seven games.

"Our pitchers kept us in striking distance," Thompson said. "We've just got to go back to the drawing boards and see what we've got to do to come out and play offense tomorrow."

The Tigers had five hits and one walk total for the game, striking out four times. South Carolina’s Reid Morgan (3-0, 2.17) earned the win after pitching 7.0 scoreless innings.

The teams return for the series deciding Game 3 on Sunday at 11 a.m. CST. Auburn will send Carson Skipper (3-1, 5.48) to the mound to face off against right-hander TJ Shook (2-0, 2.66). The game will air on the SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Auburn shut out for 1st time this season in 4-0 loss to South Carolina ” on social media.