Auburn's Shaun Shivers wins gold at Tallahassee relay

<p>Shaun Shivers (25) running the ball. Auburn at Alabama football on Saturday, Nov 24, 2018 in Tuscaloosa, Ala.</p>

Shaun Shivers (25) running the ball. Auburn at Alabama football on Saturday, Nov 24, 2018 in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Rising sophomore running back Shaun Shivers took home gold Friday evening at the Florida State Relays, winning the men's 200m in 21.00 for Auburn track and field.

Shivers also finished fifth in the event's 100m with a 10.53.

"I was really pleased with our outdoor opener against some pretty stiff competition,” said Auburn head coach Ralph Spry.

Tigers junior Kylee Carter and senior Skyler Daniel earned gold medals, as well, with a school record in the women's javelin and No. 1 finish in the women's high jump, respectively.

As a true freshman in a crowded Tigers backfield last football season, Shivers' striking combination of speed and strength at 5-foot-7 made the Floridian a pivotal weapon for Gus Malzahn. Shivers was the team's third-leading rusher with 371 yards and a trio of touchdowns on 70 carries.

Shaun Shivers (25) taking it down the field during Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

In a Week 2 win over Alabama State, a massive halftime lead for Auburn allowed Shivers to tout the rock for most of the second half as the freshman racked up 117 yards and a score in the final two quarters.

Both Shivers and Anthony Schwartz, a rising sophomore receiver, will both miss all of Auburn football's spring practice while they compete for the track and field team.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn's Shaun Shivers wins gold at Tallahassee relay ” on social media.