Campus safety warns students how to act in event of tornado

After the recent tragedy that happened in Lee County and the surrounding areas due to the storms on Sunday, it is important to make people aware of how to keep themselves safe during a tornado. 

Auburn University’s Campus Safety and Security website offers a number of informative tips for students to follow in the event of a tornado or other severe weather conditions. 

Students should know that if they receive an alert that there is a tornado warning they should take shelter immediately in designated shelter locations. Shelter locations around Auburn are marked with white and green signs and are identified on building diagrams in building-specific emergency plans.

If there is not a shelter center available, students should move to the center and lowest point of their building. Campus safety said to make sure to stay away from windows and doors to prevent injury from glass or other flying objects. Students should cover their heads with any heavy object to protect themselves.

Campus safety warned to not go outdoors to see the storm, stating there are trained professionals who will be monitoring the situation. If a person is outside or in a vehicle they should seek shelter in a building, ditch or other safe area. Mobile vehicles and mobile homes are always dangerous during high winds.

Report any injury or damages to the 911 dispatcher. Provide them as much information as possible to respond to the emergency. Once the storm has cleared, Campus Safety and Security asks students to notify them of any damages or injuries. 

Share and discuss “Campus safety warns students how to act in event of tornado” on social media.