Auburn falls 4-0 at to Texas A&M in series opener

Tanner Burns (32) throws the ball towards home plate during Auburn Baseball vs. UTSA Friday, March 8, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

In the opening game of the Tigers’ three-game series against No. 12 Texas A&M, Auburn’s bats could not get going in College Station, Texas. 

With an ice-cold offense, the Tigers lost 4-0 to the Aggies. It was No. 19 Auburn’s (23-11, 7-6 SEC) first loss in the opening game of a series this season.

Tanner Burns had his first loss of the year, moving him to 4-1 on the season. He started off strong, setting down the first 10 batters he faced in order. In that span, he struck out four. Then he allowed a single, walk and a two-run double to get the Aggies the 2-0 advantage in the bottom of the fourth.

Auburn tried to get things evened back up in the fifth, but Texas A&M’s defense took away what would have been an RBI double and a possible home run. The Aggies tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth on a single, ground ball, wild pitch and a sacrifice fly.

Burns was pulled in the bottom of the seventh after allowing a leadoff double. He pitched 6.0 innings, allowing three runs on five hits and one walk. He struck out seven. Blake Schilleci took over for Burns on the mound and retired the three batters he faced, two of which via strikeouts. 

Texas A&M (26-9-1, 8-4-1 SEC) added its fourth run of the game in the bottom of the eighth, after the first three Aggies to the plate reached base. Will Morrison then took things over for the Tigers, and he allowed no runs. Morrison has not allowed a run in his last 6.2 innings of work. 

“You keep playing,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “You keep digging in. You keep looking for the next pitch, the next opportunity, and that’s tomorrow. You just keep playing the game. You keep battling.”

The series continues on Saturday with a 4 p.m. CST start time at Blue Bell Park.

Share and discuss “Auburn falls 4-0 at to Texas A&M in series opener ” on social media.