Auburn University, city offer alternatives to running for cardio workout

<p>Students working out in a fitness class at the Auburn Wellness and Recreation Center on Oct. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Students working out in a fitness class at the Auburn Wellness and Recreation Center on Oct. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Unless running is simply a person’s passion, it can be difficult for people to build up the motivation to get up each day and force themselves to exercise in the same monotonous way. 

Thankfully, there are a number of exercises available for people who want to try something new. 

Any workouts that get the heart rate up are great for a cardio-based workout, said Kinley Beshers, freshman in journalism.

Beshers is pursuing a minor in kineosology at Auburn and runs her own fitness Instagram account.

Many people mistakenly think cardio can only be achieved through slow distance activities such as running marathons, but according to the Mayo Clinic, cardio exercise is defined as any aerobic activity that requires you to repeatedly move large muscles in the arms, legs or hip area that leads to a maximization of oxygen in the blood. 

“Examples of some options are burpees, pushups, v-ups, toes-to-bar, box jumps, step-ups and squat jumps,” Beshers said.

These are all basic activities that can be done almost anywhere and without the use of advanced equipment. 

HIIT circuits, or high intensity interval training, is another option that consists of multiple short intense bursts of action with short recovery periods.

For those wanting to get a taste of nature while doing their cardio, there are options such as hiking, swimming, rock climbing and biking that can be done around Auburn’s campus or at Chewacla State Park. 

Auburn is also home to several other options besides the gym to get a cardio workout including Purvelo, Pure Barre and True40. 

At Purvelo, people can enjoy cycling to the rhythm of music for an upbeat, fast-paced workout. Pure Barre and True40 offer classes in which instructors guide people through workouts targeting different areas of the body every class. 

Auburn University’s Recreation and Wellness Center offers a wide variety of classes on campus for students looking for alternative cardio workouts, as well. 

“We have Cardio Blast, which is full cardio, a Butts and Guts class, Cycling, Pilates and a Zumba class,” said Sarah Denton, sophomore in public relations and employee at the Rec.

Share and discuss “Auburn University, city offer alternatives to running for cardio workout” on social media.