New cafe opens with focus on building friendships, community

Eden Cafe on Saturday, March 30, 2018 in Auburn, Ala

Coffee is a sort of a uniting force in American culture, and Krystal Scott, owner of Eden Cafe and pastor of The Mount Church of the Nazarene, is working on using that force to uplift and unite the Auburn community. 

The restaurant is located on 1655 South College St.

April 1st is the cafe's soft opening with coffee, muffins, bagels and kolaches. These pastries are usually fruit filled, but also can be cheese or meat filled, Scott said. 

The cafe gave free T-shirts to the first 25 customers and free cups to get 99 cent refills on coffee.

Scott said the cafe will slowly begin adding menu items throughout the months and plan for the grand opening to be Aug. 1st. By the grand opening, she is hoping to serve homemade soups and casseroles, carbonated juices, smoothies and to begin focusing more on organic and local foods.

“We want to offer things you cannot find anywhere else in Auburn, that’s the goal,” Scott said.

The cafe will be adding arcade games and setting up a game room and reading room as the opening continues. Scott said they have a stage and would like to host some live music as well. 

She said they are looking to see what people like throughout the final touches and want to adjust to meet people’s needs and interests.

“The whole purpose behind that is creating an environment where people can build friendships, make friends (and) be friends,” Scott said. “It’s a place for everyone in the community to come together.” 

Through the cafe, Scott said she wants to give back to the community. 

All of the cafe’s profit will go to supporting the community through a soup kitchen, homeless shelter and partnering with the food bank.

The coffee served at the cafe is also sold with the intention of helping others, Scott said. 

Dirty Naked Coffee is the coffee served, and the beans are not washed before roasting to give a sweetness and a bolder cup. However, each bean has a story behind it — where it’s coming from and the grower who is being supported with the purchase of the coffee, she said. 

The name of the cafe alludes to the biblical garden of Eden, and the vision of the cafe was birthed from the church, but it’s for everyone, Scott said. 

Although right now it is tied to the church, Scott said, she wants to make it a separate entity where it’s a home away from home and a safe place for people to not feel pressured to be anything but who they are.

“The purpose of the cafe is for people to build relationships out in the community,” she said. “Not talking about just the church building relationships but the whole community coming together as a people, as a community and building relationships with each other.” 

Scott said she moved back to Auburn from Florida to start this and bring to life the mission of the cafe.

“Life is better when lived together,” she said.

Scott said she just wants to create a welcoming and comfortable outlet for Auburn. 

“A place where you can detox from everyday life,” she said.

In the end, it’s about creating a place for the community and giving back to help build up the community, she said.

“We want to create an environment where it’s food, friends and fun and coffee,” Scott said.

Abigail Murphy | Operations Editor

Abigail Murphy, senior in journalism with minors in history and women and gender studies, is the operations managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman. 

@Abigail_Murphy_

Share and discuss “New cafe opens with focus on building friendships, community” on social media.