Nine Auburn athletic teams earn perfect Academic Progress Rate scores

Nine of Auburn athletics' 19 teams received a perfect 1,000 rating for their respective Academic Progress Rate scores for the 2017-18 period

<p>Athletic Director Allen Greene during A-Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Athletic Director Allen Greene during A-Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Nine of Auburn athletics' 19 teams received a perfect 1,000 rating for their respective Academic Progress Rate scores for the 2017-18 period, the NCAA announced Wednesday afternoon.

All 19 of Auburn's teams scored within the APR guidelines, while 89 percent of the sports scored a 980 or better out of 1,000.

Auburn's men's basketball, men's golf, women's cross country, women's golf, women's track and field, gymnastics and volleyball teams were recognized by the NCAA last week after each team earned multiyear APR scores in the top-10 percent.

Auburn men's tennis and women's swimming and diving also posted perfect APR scores in the most recent scoring period.

Football's APR score jumped from 978 in 2016-17 to 993 in the most recent period. Baseball improved from 950 to 990, and men's basketball recorded a perfect 1,000 for the second consecutive period.

Academic Progress Rates track a program's success in the classroom by analyzing each scholarship athlete. APR is comprised of retention, eligibility and graduation.

“To have nine teams achieve perfect APR scores is an outstanding achievement,” said Auburn athletic director Allen Greene, who was hired January 2018. “Fielding nationally competitive programs while balancing the demands of Auburn University’s rigorous academics is a testament to the extraordinary efforts of our student-athletes, coaches and academic support staff.” 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Nine Auburn athletic teams earn perfect Academic Progress Rate scores” on social media.