Report: Auburn QB Malik Willis enters transfer portal after being bounced from starting QB race

Malik Willis (14) warms up before  Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.
Malik Willis (14) warms up before Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.

Malik Willis will look for another college quarterback opportunity after entering his name in the transfer portal. 

Brandon Marcello of 247Sports reported Thursday that Willis informed the Auburn coaches of his intent to enter the portal and seek a transfer.

The junior was set to be Auburn's third-string quarterback after battling for the starting job in spring. 

Freshmen Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood will compete for the starting job in August. At the Auburn Ambush alumni event in early May, head coach Gus Malzahn announced that the QB race was down to Nix or Gatewood. 

Willis saw action in 15 games while at Auburn during his freshmen and sophomore seasons. 

The dual-threat QB possibly finishes his Auburn career with 309 rushing yards on 28 attempts with two touchdowns. Passing-wise, Willis finishes with 11 completions on 14 attempts for 69 yards and a touchdown.

According to NCAA rules, entrance into the transfer portal allows a player to be contacted by other schools while remaining on scholarship at his current program. However, according to Marcello's report, Willis fully intends to leave Auburn.

Share and discuss “Report: Auburn QB Malik Willis enters transfer portal after being bounced from starting QB race” on social media.