Tigers DT Derrick Brown named first team preseason AP All-American

Derrick Brown
Auburn practice at Vanderbilt on Monday, Dec. 24, 2018 in Nashville, TN.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Derrick Brown Auburn practice at Vanderbilt on Monday, Dec. 24, 2018 in Nashville, TN. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn senior defensive lineman Derrick Brown has been named to the AP preseason All-American first team, the organization announced Tuesday afternoon.

Brown ends the four-year stint of no Auburn players selected as preseason first-rounders. Reese Dismukes was the last Tiger player to receive such honors in 2014. 

Experts project Brown to be selected in the first round of next year's NFL draft. During his time at Auburn, the senior out of Buford Georgia has recorded seven sacks and 111 tackles. 

He's consistently one of the top run-stuffers and pass-rushers in the league, thus, his stats aren't always through the roof. His ability to absorb double teams and open lanes for the rest of Auburn's talented front seven is his calling card.

Brown, who was eligible for the draft last year, decided to return to play out his final season. Alongside him on the defensive line are defensive ends Marlon Davidson and Nick Coe, who form one of the top D-line units in not just the SEC, but all of college football.

Joining Brown on the All-American first team are other SEC premier players such as Jerry Jeudy from Alabama and Grant Delpit from LSU. The Crimson Tide's Raekwon Davis is the other first-team defensive tackle with Brown.

Brown and the 2019 edition of Auburn's stingy defense takes the field Aug. 31 in the season opener against Oregon in Arlington, Texas.

Bryce Johnson | Sports Writer

Bryce Johnson is a junior Journalism major at Auburn University from Santa Monica, CA. He works as a sports writer for The Plainsman.

• @Brycejohnson310
  • bzj0020@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Tigers DT Derrick Brown named first team preseason AP All-American” on social media.