Jordan-Hare Stadium installs metal detectors for football season

Metal Detectors are positioned outside of Jordan Hare Stadium ready for the football season on Sept. 3, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn’s Athletic Department says to expect longer lines at football games this year.

After the big win against Oregon this past weekend, Auburn students eagerly await the first home football game of the 2019 season. However, there are some changes that students will need to be aware of before heading to Jordan-Hare on Saturday. 

The upcoming football season will be slightly different in comparison to past seasons. In the past, a person would simply have to have their bag checked when coming into the gates of Jordan-Hare Stadium. This year, everyone entering will have to go through a metal detector. 

In June 2018, the SEC announced that all SEC venues and events will be required to have implemented metal detectors by 2020. The Auburn Athletic Department decided that it would be in the best interest of every athlete, student and fan to install the detectors a year early.

This change will cause entering the stadium to take a little bit longer. As usual, the gates will open two hours before kickoff.  

Evin Beck, Associate Athletic Director of External Relations for Auburn’s Athletic Department, recommends students “arrive at gates approximately 30 minutes earlier than normal to ensure a smooth entry into Jordan-Hare Stadium.” The screening will begin half an hour before the gates open.

Beck asks that everyone look over and understand the metal detector policy before the first home game. The policy can be found at auburntigers.com. 

Students will not be required to remove items such as shoes, jewelry or belts. However, items such as phones, keys and water bottles will need to be placed on the screening table to be inspected by security. A more detailed list of allowable items is stated in the policy.

Something that won’t change is the clear bag policy. It will remain in effect for the coming years. Beck recommends that students bring their clear bag to hold items that are to be placed on the screening table as opposed to placing them individually. 

Beck also wanted students to know to leave their pocket knives and umbrellas at home, as they will not be allowed in Jordan-Hare. 

If a student brings a prohibited item to the stadium, there will be a location available outside of Gate 0 where prohibited items may be checked in. There will be a $5 safekeeping fee for the items.

Students are also allowed to bring “one unopened, factory-sealed bottle of water (up to one liter in size), one empty water bottle or one empty Yeti type cup” to the games. There will be stations to fill these bottles around the stadium.

The first home game will be on Sept. 7 against Tulane at 6:30 p.m. The gates will open at 4:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Jordan-Hare Stadium installs metal detectors for football season” on social media.