Experts share why drinking water is important during football season

Auburn University provides weagle water filling stations all over the Auburn University Campus.

While being amongst roaring fans, the crowded stadium and the sounds of the band, the last thing to think about is going to grab a water bottle. 

Abbigail Hickey, a registered dietitian and coordinator of nutrition for Health Promotion and Wellness Services, said not drinking much water at games is dangerous. 

Symptoms of needing more water start small, with the mouth being dry or thinking more about water, and worsen severe dehydration where the skin gets dry and sweating stops, Hickey said. 

“Usually I recommend that people drink at least 80 ounces of water,” she said. “If they are exercising or it’s very hot, I recommend more.”

Markie Pasternak, the coordinator of outreach and peer education for Health Promotion and Wellness Services, said when people don’t get enough water it can result in headaches, fatigue or fainting. 

“One of the major reasons for not getting enough water could be the accessibility of water throughout the day,” Pasternak said.

If people are wondering where to get water, there are places to refill water bottles like the Student Center.

“You can always go into the Student Center and get some water whether it’s your own water bottle or a plastic one you would throw away,” Pasternak said

According to Auburn University Athletics’ “Football Gameday Fan Guide,” one empty water bottle or one unopened factory bottle under one liter is allowed into the stadium.

Shelby Flores, coordinator of alcohol and drugs for Health Promotion and Wellness Services, said when people are out and around on game days, they tend to drink whatever is available which may not be water. 

“Try to set a goal for how much water to drink and set a limit on other drinks,” Flores said.

Hickey said to try to break up the day with water breaks. If a tailgate starts at 1 p.m. try to drink some water at 2 p.m. and then again at 2:30 p.m. If one is about to go into the stadium at 3 p.m. then maybe drink two waters at 3 p.m. 

“This is especially important since some of the drinks that are often consumed at games, like alcohol or caffeinated beverages, are mild diuretics,” she said. 

Markie Pasternak also said it’s a good idea to switch back and forth between water and other drinks.

Parker McWhorter, a sophomore in political science, said in the Auburn Marching Band they drink a good amount of water throughout the day to keep them hydrated. 

He said since most people are preoccupied with having fun at tailgates and cheering, they don’t want to miss the game, and water can often be forgotten.

“Drink water before the game starts, just throughout the day, until you get to the stadium and if you can bring water in, then do it,” he said.

Hickey said a good way to remember is set alarms on a phone the day before or work with a friend to help keep each other accountable. 

“We are at least 60 % water,” Hickey said. “A lot of our blood has water in it. We need water for all of our organs to help them operate. If we get below the amount of water that we need, it can be very dangerous.”

Abigail Murphy | Operations Editor

Abigail Murphy, senior in journalism with minors in history and women and gender studies, is the operations managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman. 

@Abigail_Murphy_

Share and discuss “Experts share why drinking water is important during football season” on social media.