Anthony Schwartz's increased role pays off for Tigers in win over Arkansas

<p>Anthony Schwartz (5) scores a touchdown during Auburn at Arkansas on Oct. 19, 2019, in Fayetteville, Ark.</p>

Anthony Schwartz (5) scores a touchdown during Auburn at Arkansas on Oct. 19, 2019, in Fayetteville, Ark.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The Auburn fan base had been asking their head coach to place more emphasis on implementing sophomore wide receiver Anthony Shwartz’s speed into the game plan. This week, with Schwartz the healthiest he's been this season, their pleas were answered.

According to Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, the plan to incorporate more of Schwartz was brought upon by the fact that he no longer had a large club on his left hand. 

“We were able to do everything," Malzahn said. "Now he can start catching the ball down the field.”

Schwartz’s renewed ability in the passing game was evidenced by his 28-yard touchdown reception and his 73 total receiving yards. 

“I feel like I’m back to myself,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz added 30 yards on the ground, which mostly came from a 28-yard end-around in the third quarter. His touchdown catch immediately followed, giving him a career-high eight touches.

The sophomore is most excited, however, to be available for his teammates coming down the stretch of the late season. 

"It’s really big," Schwartz said. "Being able to contribute to the team ... and finding ways to put me on the field more.” 

Share and discuss “Anthony Schwartz's increased role pays off for Tigers in win over Arkansas” on social media.