Auburn heads to Gainesville to take on talented Gators

Auburn runs the ball during Auburn vs. Mississippi State, on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

A majority of the early conversation around the SEC this season has been on Alabama's continued dominance, LSU's offense and the surprise start for Auburn. Seemingly lost in the shuffle this season has been Florida. 

The No. 10 Gators are 5-0 this season and led by a capable backup quarterback in Kyle Trask. Trask stepped in for Feleipe Franks after Franks dislocated his ankle in Florida's win over Kentucky. 

Trask went on to lead Florida to a comeback win over the Wildcats after coming in to start the fourth quarter after the Franks injury. The redshirt junior made his first career start the following week against Tennessee.

Since taking over as the starter, Trask has shown his ability to make accurate throws. He is fourth nationally in completion percentage with 77.3%, or 51-of-66 passing in his two starts. 

The redshirt junior also broke the school record for consecutive completions with his last three completions against Tennessee and his first 15 passes against Towson. 

Senior defensive back Jeremiah Dinson is used to facing off against talented quarterbacks like Trask and knows Auburn's defense will be prepared and ready to face Trask even if he originally was not the starter.

“He can run and throw the ball, really efficient quarterback, he’s got some weapons around him," Dinson said. "We’ve seen that type of player before, quarterback that can run and pass. I know Coach Steele will have a good game plan this week but he’s a really good player.”     

When Auburn heads to Gainesville this Saturday, the offensive line of the Tigers will take on Florida's defensive line, which is a "great front," according to right tackle Jack Driscoll. 

The stats back up both of these claims by Driscoll. Auburn's offensive line is allowing on average 1.20 sacks a game. That average of 1.20 sacks per game ranks Auburn tied for 21st in the nation.  

Auburn's offensive line has helped spark the running game this season helping the Tigers rank second in the SEC in rushing offense with an average of 251 yards per game. 

Meanwhile, the Florida defensive line is no slouch itself. The Gators have 24 sacks on the season, tied for second in the FBS. 

While Auburn's rushing offense may be second in the SEC, Florida's run defense is ranked second in the SEC with an average allowance of 86.8 yards a game. 

The Swamp will be hosting a fierce battle in the trenches this weekend. Head coach Gus Malzahn believes that this is the best defensive line Auburn has faced up to this point in the season.

"I think so, they've got some real guys rushing the passer," Malzahn said. "Not that the guys we played before didn't, but they're very aggressive, they get up the field, they pin their ears back. It's pretty impressive to watch on film."  

Jonathan Greenard leads Florida's aggressive defensive line with an SEC-leading 6.5 tackles for a loss and is tied for first in the SEC with 4.0 sacks. 

Driscoll believes that Auburn's offensive line can match up against the Gator's defensive line when they meet in the trenches Saturday. 

"I have no doubt that if we execute our technique and what-not that we can be successful," Driscoll said. "They are a great front, but we are a good O-line too."  

Share and discuss “Auburn heads to Gainesville to take on talented Gators” on social media.