University moving closer to Football Performance Center

The open window in the bottom right corner of the press box homes the memory and reserved seat of the Voice of the Auburn Tigers in Jordan Hare Stadium on Sept. 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn is moving quickly to get its football-only facility. 

The Auburn University Board of Trustees held a specially-called meeting via telephone conference call Monday morning to take recommendations for potential architects of a Football Performance Center. 

Dan King, associate vice president for facilities, presented the resolution to the board. 

Ten architecture firms threw their hats in the ring to be considered for the project. The selection committee interviewed four firms. 

The architect selection committee determined Goodwyn, Mills, and Cawood, of Montgomery, Alabama, and HOK Architects, of Kansas City, Missouri, to be most suited to complete the project. 

After King's report, there was no further discussion on the issue, and a vote passed unanimously to authorize Interim President Jay Gogue to engage the firms in discussion for consultation on the development of the facility. 

The Football Performance Center was approved for project initiation at the Board of Trustees' meeting on Sept. 13.

Since that meeting, facilities submitted a request for qualifications of design services for the individual architecture firms. 

The Center is anticipated to include space dedicated to strength and conditioning, recovery and meeting rooms and offices. 

At the board's June meeting, head coach Gus Malzahn attended to show his support for the facility, which was projected to cost $60-80 million. Malzahn pledged $2 million of his own money toward the facility.

"It is big not just now, currently, but for the future and will allow us to continue to have a good chance to compete for championships, so this is really big," Malzahn said at the board's June meeting. 

The two architecture firms selected have previously worked together on Clemson University's football project. HOK has also worked on football projects at Georgia, Florida, Ohio State and Penn State. 

The next steps in the project will include determining the budget, coordinating funding and planning details of the facility — all of which will require approval from the trustees. 

Share and discuss “University moving closer to Football Performance Center” on social media.