Yarbrough Elementary School installs book vending machine

Contributed by Auburn City Schools.
Contributed by Auburn City Schools.

Young students at Yarbrough Elementary School have a new way to get their reading materials. 

The school installed a book vending machine over the summer, and students will be given the opportunity to select and keep a book from this machine over the course of the year. 

The machine can hold up to 200 books at one time. These books range from third- to fifth-grade reading levels, said Daniel Chesser, Auburn City Schools public relations specialist. 

To get a book from the vending machine, students need to insert a token. These books will be given away as part of a school rewards-based character education program, which is where they get the tokens from. 

The Parent Teacher Organization will continue to fund this initiative to keep the machine stocked with new books, Chesser said. 

The school’s goal is to have each student use the book vending machine at least twice during the year, said Principal of Yarbrough Elementary School Pete Forster. 

“Students receive a token for being selected as Leader of the Month in their classroom or from our Positivity Project character cards,” Forster said. 

A running record of students who have selected a book from the vending machine will be kept to ensure each student has a chance to access it. 

Students will also have the opportunity to choose a book as a result of strong performance in the classroom and perfect attendance, Chesser said. 

Chesser said the goal of this book vending machine is to develop a stronger reading culture among students.

“We want to continue the excitement around reading, not just at school, but at home and with family members,” Chesser said. 

This vending machine offers a different way of achieving this, Chesser said.

“For me, I want kids to see the machine lit up with enticing covers, peek inside and talk about the books with their friends,” Forster said. “As long as books are getting into the hands of our students, we are making a difference.”

This idea has been a hit among faculty and students at Yarbrough. Several members of the education community have also expressed their excitement for the idea. 

“The idea has caught the attention of many, and it is possible to see more pop up within Auburn City Schools,” Chesser said.

Share and discuss “Yarbrough Elementary School installs book vending machine ” on social media.