Auburn, O-line coach J.B. Grimes parting ways

<p>Auburn Football Offensive Line coach, J.B. Grimes, during Tiger Walk on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn Football Offensive Line coach, J.B. Grimes, during Tiger Walk on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Not only will Auburn have to replace four starters on its offensive line before next season; the Tigers will now have to replace offensive line coach J.B. Grimes, as well. The news of Grimes stepping down was first reported by 247Sports's Jason Caldwell.

Grimes has been involved in coaching for over 30 years and had two stints as Auburn’s offensive line coach. He first coached the Tigers offensive line from 2013-15 before leaving for stops at Cincinnati and UConn.  

Grimes returned to Auburn ahead of the 2018 season and has spent the last two seasons as the offensive line coach. Auburn’s offensive line struggled in 2018, allowing 26 sacks in 14 games, but the Tigers rebounded in 2019, allowing 18 sacks in 13 games. 

The offensive line’s struggles mostly came in the run game, where Auburn averaged 130.17 yards against ranked teams this season. Most recently, Auburn finished with 56 rushing yards against Minnesota in the Outback Bowl.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn not only worked with Grimes at Auburn, but also at Arkansas State in 2012. In his statement, Malzahn thanked Grimes for all that he had done for Auburn and wished him well. 

“J.B. has decided to move on and pursue other opportunities,” Malzhan said. “I appreciate everything he’s done for Auburn. J.B. and his wife Jennifer will always be a part of the Auburn family.”

Share and discuss “Auburn, O-line coach J.B. Grimes parting ways” on social media.