Gus Malzahn reportedly hands over play-calling to offensive coordinator Chad Morris

<p>Chad Morris speaks at a press conference on Dec. 10, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Chad Morris speaks at a press conference on Dec. 10, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

After a 2019 season in which head coach Gus Malzahn called the plays for Auburn, it appears he is handing the reins over to offensive coordinator Chad Morris, according to multiple reports out of Mobile while Malzahn is there for the Senior Bowl.

"Chad Morris, in my opinion, is one of the best offensive minds in college football," Malzahn said, according to Giana Han of AL.com. "He's going to take our offense and he's going to run with it. I'm very excited about that."

Morris, the former SMU and Arkansas head coach, was hired after former offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham left for the offensive coordinator job at Florida State. Morris joined the Tigers ahead of the Outback Bowl and was on the sidelines during the game. 

Malzahn had stepped back from play-calling during the 2016 season but decided to give it another go after the 2018 season. 

Morris and Malzahn have known each other since their days of coaching high school football, and, during the 2018 season, Malzahn spoke highly of Morris' coaching ability. 

"I always knew he had something special about him," Malzahn said. "He's a great person and one of the good guys in our business, and he's one of the best coaches that I've ever been around." 

Share and discuss “Gus Malzahn reportedly hands over play-calling to offensive coordinator Chad Morris” on social media.