Senate passes resolution supporting sale of alcohol in Jordan-Hare

SGA Senate meeting on March 25, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The SEC announced last year that it was lifting its ban on the sale of alcohol in football stadiums, allowing universities to decide independently if they want to sell alcohol in their stadiums. 

Following this announcement, many SEC universities immediately decided to sell alcohol in their stadiums, including LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas.

However, Auburn decided not to do so immediately, instead waiting to make a decision after a thoughtful process involving the input of shareholders and fans, a University spokesperson previously told The Plainsman.

After a lengthy process of polling constituents and researching the results of other SEC schools who have implemented the sale of alcohol in their stadiums, senators passed a resolution recommending the sale of alcohol in Jordan-Hare, including in the student section.

Headed by James Sadie, Harbert College of Business senator, and Hays Kassen, at-large senator, this resolution aims to enhance the student gameday experience, as well as bring in large amounts of money to the University.

Senators cited the fact that Louisiana State University generated more than $2 million in net revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages in public areas in Tiger Stadium in 2019, according to LSU's Senior Associate Athletic Director Robert Munson.

Sadie and Kassen also strongly encouraged the continuation of the barrier between the student section and general seating, in order to “maintain the integrity of the student section.”

Kassen cited The Lantern, Ohio State University’s student-published newspaper, which reported a 114-person decrease in alcohol-related incidents the year directly following the introduction of the sale of alcohol in general seating.

Many senators voiced issues with the recommendation, speaking of the possible problem in regulating the consumption of alcohol in stadiums to only those who are legally allowed, as well as the difficulty in the polling of students who may be minors.

Share and discuss “Senate passes resolution supporting sale of alcohol in Jordan-Hare” on social media.