Judd Ward's 7 RBIs lead Tigers to 12-6 win over Alabama A&M

Judd Ward (1) gets a hit in Auburn Baseball vs. Alabama A&M on Feb. 26, 2020 in Auburn, AL

After a poor outing in the series against UCF, Auburn bounced back against Alabama A&M Tuesday, winning 10-0. It hoped to repeat that effort and get its season back on track. 

The Tigers did just that win another win over the Bulldogs, 12-6 on a chilly Wednesday evening inside Plainsman Park.

Freshman Trace Bright started on the bump for the Tigers and worked quickly through the Bulldogs’ lineup. He struck out six, and didn’t allow a hit until the third inning.

The bats for Auburn got a hot start, too, helping the Tigers climb to a four-run lead after the first two innings. The Tigers took advantage of Alabama A&M’s pitchers, who let up a combined seven walks in the game, as well as its defense, which committed three errors.

While the Tigers started hot, it all seemed to spiral out of control after the second inning. The offense was held silent for three straight innings. In the fifth, Bright’s fatigue showed. The Tigers allowed four runs after getting two outs to start the inning.

With momentum swinging the other way, the team looked to junior outfielder Judd Ward to help it retake the lead.

He hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth off the foul pole in right field. He had a monster day, finishing 4-for-4 with seven RBIs. His batting average on the season now sits at .422.

“I give a lot of credit to my teammates for getting on base,” Ward said. “I was sticking to my approach and reacting to pitches.”

Conor Davis homered in the sixth, as well, crushing the ball 358 feet over the monster wall in left field.

Despite the run support, Auburn’s pitchers struggled to keep the Bulldogs' hitters at bay. Sophomore Drew Baker allowed two runs in the seventh inning before being pulled. But freshman Blake Burkhalter managed two innings allowing no runs. The Tigers were able to close out the game, striking out a combined 12 batters.

Auburn’s next game is Friday at 4 p.m CST. It hosts Wright State at Plainsman Park for a three-game series. 

Coach Butch Thompson had much to say post-game about the upcoming series. It’s clear that he doesn't want last weekend's sweep from UCF to get in his players’ heads.

“I believe in our ball club and our program,” Thompson said. “You’ve got an opportunity to get back in a three game series and play better than we did last weekend.”

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Judd Ward's 7 RBIs lead Tigers to 12-6 win over Alabama A&M” on social media.