Auburn University transitioning to online classes until at least April 10

Students walking in front of Samford Hall on Wed, Jan. 16, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University will transition to online classes until at least April 10 over concerns about the spread of the coronavirus, per an email sent to students.

University officials are urging students not to return to campus Monday, which is when spring break was set to end. 

"University officials will subsequently determine if students will return to campus for the remaining weeks of the spring semester," the email said. 

Click here to see The Plainsman's full coverage of COVID-19 in the Auburn-Opelika area.

The University said Auburn professors and faculty will be in contact with students about how coursework will be completed.

Auburn will continue "normal operations," according to the email, though it is encouraging social distancing as appropriate.

“The Auburn Family faces many unknowns about this virus,” said Auburn University President Jay Gogue. “We are taking these unprecedented steps based on our utmost concern for the health and well-being of Auburn students, faculty and staff. In the meantime, we continue working with public health and emergency preparedness officials to make decisions in the best interest of the campus community and to help stop the spread of COVID-19.”

Dining facilities, libraries and residence halls are closed through April 10. Students with living situations compromised by this are urged to contact the Auburn Division of Student Affairs.

Students who need to return to on-campus housing to gather belongings were urged by the University to contact the Office of University Housing.

The University will "make arrangements" for students who are unable to return home from Auburn.

A decision has not yet been made by Auburn on the logistics of the upcoming spring commencement ceremonies, according to the University.

Auburn sporting events are also canceled through April 10. The SEC ruling earlier in the day only said until March 30.

Students who left their vehicles parked on campus over spring break will not have to move their vehicles, according to Auburn University's Transportation Services.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn University transitioning to online classes until at least April 10” on social media.