Breaking: Five deaths reported at EAMC as a result of COVID-19

<p>East Alabama Medical Center is urging people to stay at home as it increases its testing capabilities and begins to see an increasing number patients for COVID-19.&nbsp;</p>

East Alabama Medical Center is urging people to stay at home as it increases its testing capabilities and begins to see an increasing number patients for COVID-19. 

Five people who tested positive for COVID-19 and were hospitalized at East Alabama Medical Center have died as of Friday morning, according to the hospital.

Three of the patients were from Chambers County and two were from Lee County, according to EAMC.

“Our hospital family expresses its collective condolences to the families of these five patients,” said Laura Grill, EAMC president and CEO.  “As everyone knows, this virus has taken a toll on our nation and world, and our community is not exempt from that. Our hearts and prayers are with these families at this very difficult time.”

As of publication, the deaths have not been added to the Alabama Department of Public Health's official count "because hospital officials and ADPH are working through the process for official state determination," EAMC said.

As of Saturday at 6 p.m., ADPH lists three COVID-19-related deaths in Alabama and 702 confirmed cases in the state, 56 of which in Lee County.

EAMC said it has 19 people hospitalized with confirmed cases and five people who had confirmed cases but are now discharged.

There are 22 people hospitalized with suspected COVID-19, while 14 people who were hospitalized and suspected of COVID-19 have been ruled negative for the virus, EAMC said. 

Grill said the "ICU staff, respiratory therapists and physicians who worked most closely with these patients are especially struggling and we ask that the community lift them up today just as they have been lifting up our whole organization the past two weeks.”

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Breaking: Five deaths reported at EAMC as a result of COVID-19” on social media.