SEC cancels remainder of men's basketball tournament

Bruce Pearl yells during Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Georgia, on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

On Wednesday, the Southeastern Conference announced that the remainder of the 2020 Men’s Basketball Tournament was going to be played with limited attendance, closed to the general public. 

Now, ahead of Thursday’s games, the SEC has cancelled the tournament entirely following decisions from other Power 5 conferences.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey understands the decision is disappointing but is one that needed to be made for the health and safety of all involved. 

"We understand that this decision will be disappointing to our student-athletes and coaches who have been preparing all season to compete in this event as well as viewers at home," Sankey said in a statement. "While this was not an easy decision, the health and well-being of our entire SEC community is of paramount importance."

The league also announced that Kentucky, who were the regular season champions, will receive the conference’s automatic bid for the NCAA Tournament. As of now, the NCAA Tournament will be played without fans later on this month. 

Share and discuss “SEC cancels remainder of men's basketball tournament” on social media.