University Housing organizes early move-out days for residents

<p>Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.</p>

Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.

Updated 6:45 p.m. — In an email sent by Auburn University Housing Director Kevin Hoult to students and obtained by The Plainsman, Hoult said that students can pick up their items from their dorms any weekend between March 27-29 to June 26-28. 

On those weekends, he said, residence halls will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. There is no longer a need a need for a request form, according to Hoult. For those unable to move-out by June 28, the University will store their items until they can be retrieved at a later date, he said

"Our email earlier today about early move-out caused understandable concerns by many of you. Please know that we heard you," Hoult said. "We apologize for the confusion and ask that you please disregard the previous information about move-out dates.

University Housing will allow students to move out of residence halls early over the next two weekends to gather any possessions they may have left behind, per an email obtained by The Plainsman that was sent to current on-campus residents. 

The move comes after an announcement from Provost Bill Hardgrave that remote instruction will continue for the remainder of the spring semester.

Different residence hall areas have been scheduled for the move-out process during two separate periods as to lessen the number of students visiting campus at one time. Residents are asked to move out between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on their hall’s scheduled days, according to the email.

Students will only be allowed to enter their residence hall on the dates and times provided in the schedule. Once they arrive, they will be provided with an express checkout packet to return their room keys after removing items from their room, the email said.

Mail centers for each area will be open in case residents have received any mail in the time since the University moved to remote instruction on March 12. University Housing encouraged students to set up mail forwarding through AU Access as soon as possible before complete closure of residence halls.

Those who need overnight accommodations during the early move-out process can make use of a special bed and breakfast rate for $99 at The Hotel at Auburn University, the email said. Reservations concerning the offer may be made by email at reservations@auhcc.com or by phone at (334) 821-8200.

Housing is requesting that students spend no more than two hours on a given day in a residence hall and to remove all perishable items from rooms. It is also asking that they bring no more than two people nor any immunocompromised individuals or anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19.

There will be no parking ticketing at any point during the early move-out process, the email said. Students may park in any lot, and cars with no University parking permit can also park anywhere.

Those unable to return to campus on one of the early move-out dates for health reasons or other extenuating circumstances can fill out a COVID-19 Item Retrieval Request at https://auburn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_25oH25VpFHgS4tv.

The form instead allows students to return between April 17 and April 19 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., or they can choose April 24 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Housing said it will send an email to students who return during one of these alternate times confirming that they have received swipe access on their Tiger Card.

The full move-out schedule is as follows:

March 27 – March 29

Cambridge

Hill
Dobbs
Sasnett
Hollifield
Boyd
Graves
M

Quad
Broun
Little
Keller
Lupton
Dowdell

Village
Aubie
Oak
Tiger
Plainsman

April 3 – April 5

South Donahue

Hill
Dunn
Toomer
Leischuck
Dowell
Duncan
Knapp

Quad
Harper
Teague
Owen
Lane
Glenn

Village
Magnolia
Eagle
Talon
Willow

Share and discuss “University Housing organizes early move-out days for residents” on social media.