Javaris Davis heading to Super Bowl champs as undrafted free agent

<p>Javaris Davis (13) celebrates a defensive stop during the Auburn vs. LSU game Saturday Oct. 26, 2019, in Baton Rogue, La.</p>

Javaris Davis (13) celebrates a defensive stop during the Auburn vs. LSU game Saturday Oct. 26, 2019, in Baton Rogue, La.

Auburn defensive back Javaris Davis was picked up by the reigning Super Bowl champions, Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent, according to multiple reports.

Davis has been positioned at cornerback for Auburn since 2016 and has emerged as one of its veteran leaders in the secondary. He's the cousin of former NFL Colt and 49ers' players Vernon and Vontae Davis, but now has the opportunity to start his own professional career. 

Over the past four years, Davis has played in 49 games making 150 tackles and grabbing eight interceptions. Only one of those interceptions resulted in a touchdown over Mississippi State his sophomore year.  

Davis participated in the NFL combine in February where he was the fastest of all the Auburn players who attended. Davis ran a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash and also put up 35.5 inches on the vertical, 124.0 inches on the broad jump and pushed 11 reps on the bench. 

Davis is known for his versatility. He can play a variety of positions on defense like nickel and safety, in addition to corner. He’s also known to play above is size, which has helped him see the field. 

He has been awarded many honors including preseason All-SEC Third-Team, Reese’s Senior Bowl watch list and Phil Steele Fourth-Team. 

During round four of the draft Davis tweeted, “Proverbs 3:5-6.” Hours later the Chiefs picked him up with hopes of him earning a spot on the roster. 

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Javaris Davis heading to Super Bowl champs as undrafted free agent” on social media.