City announces plans for phased reopening of facilities, services

Auburn City Hall on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Plans to get the City of Auburn’s facilities up and running have been put in place and released to the public. 

Details of a phased reopening of public facilities and services beginning on May 20 and continuing through July 6 were announced by the City on Wednesday afternoon. Safety measures will be taken at these facilities, like social distancing, hand sanitizing stations and plexiglass installation, the City said.

The schedule of City facilities and services is as follows:

• May 20: 
    • Curbside service at Auburn Public Library begins
    • Phone and kiosk service at Auburn Municipal Court now available
    • The Auburn Police Division lobby will open for service—administrative lobby to remain closed
    • All Public Works lobbies and service counters open to the public
    • Drive-through service for payment and applications at the Water Resource Management and Utility Billing Office now available
  • May 23:
    • Samford Pool reopens for lap swim only
  • May 26:
    • Public lobbies at Auburn City Hall and the Human Resources Building will open
    • Auburn Public Library open for counter service with several caveats—patrons cannot browse collection, but rather, librarians retrieve books for them
    • Development Service Building’s public lobby and service counters open to the public
    • All Environmental Services public lobbies and service counters reopen
    • Public lobbies at the Dean Road Recreation Center, Frank Brown Recreation Center, Harris Center and Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center will reopen.
    • The Auburn Fire Stations' lobbies open to public access 
    • The police records service counter will reopen in the new Public Safety Building
    • Appointments with Water Resource Management or the Utility Billing Office available for those who need to meet in person
  • May 30:
    • The City Market will return to Town Creek Park on Saturdays from 8–11 a.m.
  • June 1:
    • Meeting spaces open at City Hall and Human Resources Building—online meeting still encouraged
    • Meeting spaces open at Development Services Building—online meeting still encouraged
    • Auburn Municipal Court sessions resume with social distancing in new Public Safety Building
    • Boykin Community Center reopens, but weight room and basketball courts remain closed
    • Cardio areas at Frank Brown Fitness Center reopen
    • Ceramics studio at Dean Road Recreation Center open for reservations only
    • Registration for Parks and Recreation summer programs begins
    • Auburn Police Division lobby and police records open in new Public Safety Building
    • Full services for Water Resource Management and Utility Billing Office resume
  • July 6:
    • Book and media collection at Auburn Public Library open for browsing by patrons

Some businesses in Auburn will remain closed under the state’s order, and restaurants and bars are open at limited capacity. The safer-at-home order given by Gov. Kay Ivey is set to expire on May 22.

The City said the public is still encouraged to practice social distancing and contact the City through all electronic means possible. 

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “City announces plans for phased reopening of facilities, services” on social media.