Ryan Watson signs with the Baltimore Orioles

<p>Ryan Watson (37) pitches for Auburn on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Ryan Watson (37) pitches for Auburn on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Now three members of Auburn’s 2020 team will get an opportunity to play professional baseball after right-handed pitcher Ryan Watson signed a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday. 

“Playing for this University has been a dream come true,” Watson said. “I dreamed of playing for Auburn as a little kid and will cherish every moment of the last four years. Thank you to all the coaches, family, friends and teammates who have helped me get to this point in my baseball career. I’m excited to join the Baltimore Orioles organization and start this next chapter in my life.”

Watson is an Auburn native and attended Auburn High School. During his four years at Auburn, he made 58 pitching appearances for the Tigers and posted a 2-2 record.

In the shortened 2020 season, he made five appearances on the mound and finished with a 1.23 ERA in seven innings of work.

“The entire Auburn Family joins in celebrating the career of Ryan Watson and his opportunity with the Baltimore Orioles,” head coach Butch Thompson said. “We thank Ryan for staying home to accomplish his goals of playing for Auburn and pursuing his degree before taking this next step into professional baseball.”

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Ryan Watson signs with the Baltimore Orioles” on social media.