University updates COVID testing information

Testing nearly every student and putting up signs like this one across campus are parts of the University's plan to reopen in August.

In an email this week, Auburn University outlined important changes to its plan to test all students coming to campus this fall. 

The chief change announced in the email was that not all students will have to receive a COVID-19 test before returning to Auburn. However, they will still be required to get a test before classes start on August 17. 

"Many students will not be tested until arriving in Auburn," the email stated. "That is OK, even if you are tested after arriving on campus or in town. If you wish to take a test from a private health care provider, you may do so any time before classes begin."

Last week, on July 24, Auburn students were sent an email outlining the basic instructions for testing requirements, as well as a list of 14 acceptable testing locations in different cities across the state. 

This email also referenced a follow-up email that Auburn students should all receive by August 3, which would give students specific instructions about registering and scheduling for their individual COVID-19 test. 

On Wednesday, July 29, Auburn students received another email that outlined important updates and changes to the email that was sent on July 24.

“While it was intended for all students to receive an email from GuideSafeTM/Stay Safe TogetherTM within a few days, we are aware that almost half of our students have not yet received this email. As long as you follow the instructions sent to your email from testing@staysafetogether.org, you will not be penalized for the timing of your test. We realize that this means many of you will not be tested until you arrive on campus, and that is OK.”

Much of the information around testing for in-state students remains the same; the same 14 testing sites across the state remain, and in-state students are able to set up a free test through emails sent by GuideSafeTM/Stay Safe TogetherTM.

However, out-of-state students now have the ability to get tested once they arrive on campus. 

“Out-of-state students may receive an appointment for the clinic in Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum for when they return to campus. This clinic will begin testing students on Aug. 4, but students must have an appointment to visit.”

Both in and out-of-state students still have the option to take a private test and pay for the associated expenses, instead of waiting to schedule an appointment to get a free test or to receive an at-home kit through GuideSafeTM/Stay Safe TogetherTM.

Students who choose this option should send documentation that includes the student's name, testing date and test results to ahealthieru@auburn.edu from the student’s Auburn University email account. Students should then receive a response confirming the reception of their documentation.

For students who have previously tested positive, the documentation and steps required are the same for students who choose to get a private test. Students who have tested positive in the past 12 weeks will be cleared to return to campus.

Share and discuss “University updates COVID testing information” on social media.