UPC looks to have full schedule of events for fall

The newly renovated Student Involvement Suite on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Despite social-distancing guidelines and other coronavirus-related restrictions, Auburn’s University Program Council is still aiming to welcome students back with a full fall event schedule.

Although the events that are put on may be slightly altered for health and safety concerns, Luke Heslep, UPC’s vice president of marketing, said that the council “has gone above and beyond in developing creative ways to continue to operate at a normal capacity, while keeping everyone at events safe and well-informed.”

The events that have been planned are a mix of virtual and in-person events. The in-person events will have all the necessary precautions taken in order to safeguard the health and safety of those attending, Heslep said, while allowing them to interact with each other.

“All UPC members are required to wear masks and proper protective equipment while working at events,” he said. “UPC will provide masks for attendees at all events, as well as hand sanitizer.”

In addition, all in-person events will be held outdoors, and there will be touchless temperature scanning and check in, as well as pre-entry questions at every event, according to Heslep.

In the circumstance that Auburn transitions to all online classes, Heslep said that UPC will be ready.

“We have asked all of our directors to think critically about what another semester online with UPC will look like,” he said. “We already have some virtual programming planned, and  [we] trust our committee leaders’ ingenuity and flexibility if we need to add more.”

According to Heslep, UPC recognizes its opportunity to welcome students back to campus after what has been a difficult few months. 

“The role of UPC is to enrich each student’s Auburn experience by providing inclusive and engaging programs that foster community and a positive campus culture,” Heslep said. “Our goal is to create spaces that allow students to once again experience the connections they have been missing while also maintaining proper safety protocols.”

Share and discuss “UPC looks to have full schedule of events for fall” on social media.