Tempers flared for Nix and Williams in loss, but connection is 'still good'

“They’re still a good connection with each other,” Stove said. “But, just, you know, things going on. They’re good. You know, people want to win.”

Oct 3, 2020; Columbia, SC, USA; Seth Williams (18) catches the ball during the game between Auburn and South Carolina at Williams-Brice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

COLUMBIA, S.C. - In Auburn’s 30-22 loss to South Carolina, tempers flared on both sides at Williams-Brice Stadium. 

One moment of tempers flaring up was caught on the ESPN broadcast and involved Auburn quarterback Bo Nix and wide receiver Seth Williams. 

It was a tough outing for the pairing as Nix started strong in the first quarter by going 10-of-17 for 112 yards and a touchdown but struggled down the stretch. Nix finished the day 24-of-47 for 272 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions.

Williams spent most of the day lined up against Gamecocks’ defensive back Jaycee Horn who picked Nix off twice. The wideout finished the day with four receptions for 74 yards. 

The argument between the two was following a third-down stop by the South Carolina defense.

“You know, it’s a competition,” said wide receiver Eli Stove. “So, he’s trying to tell—Seth’s trying to tell Bo something about what the DB is doing, and Bo’s trying to tell him what he saw. So, you know, it happens.”

Even if the duo was arguing on the sidelines, Stove knows that tempers may have flared, but the pair will be fine at the end of the day.  

Head coach Gus Malzahn shared similar sentiments about his quarterback and wideout issues' and is confident they correct it before next Saturday. 

“We’ll take a look at it on film,” Malzahn said. “You’ve probably got to give their DB some credit too. But we’ll look at it, and we need to correct it.”

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Tempers flared for Nix and Williams in loss, but connection is 'still good'” on social media.