What Malzahn means to me: Marquel Harrell

<p>Gus Malzahn with offensive linemen Marquel Harrell and Prince Tega Wanogho.</p>

Gus Malzahn with offensive linemen Marquel Harrell and Prince Tega Wanogho.

When Auburn hosts Tennessee Saturday, the contest will be Gus Malzahn’s 100th game as Auburn’s head coach. The Plainsman reached out to former Auburn offensive lineman Marquel Harrell to share his thoughts about how much Malzahn has meant to him as a former player. Here’s what Harrell had to say ahead of Malzahn’s 100th game as Auburn’s head coach:

As a former player, playing up under Coach Malzahn was one of a kind. To put our relationship in simplest terms, he was Obi-Wan, and I was Luke (Malzahn loves Star Wars). 

He taught me a great number of things on and off the field, with the biggest one “being a family man.” Coach always harped on the importance of being a great son, father, spouse, etc., because family was so important. He always told us that family was going to love you no matter what. 

Coach also taught me about the details. He pays attention to everything and notices the little details that most would overlook. After being around him for five years, the attention to details tends to rub off on you, so that’s how I go about doing things as well. 

Coach always told us, “Use your influence in a positive way,” and I live my life by helping others as much as I can. Coach Malzahn means a lot to me because he gave me the opportunity to earn my degree and play college football on the next level, which help set me up for my future. 

Without his help or talks, I’m not sure I would have been as successful as I was in college. He helps prepare me for the real world, not just in sports but in life as well. He showed me what being a man was really like, and for that alone, I’m beyond grateful. 

Congrats on your 100th game at Auburn, Coach.

Share and discuss “What Malzahn means to me: Marquel Harrell” on social media.