Auburn receives its first doses of the COVID vaccine

<p>The Auburn University Med Clinic in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Auburn University Med Clinic in Auburn, Ala.

On Wednesday, Auburn University announced in a release that it had received its first shipment of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. 

The University received 3,500 doses and began initiating a phased approach in administering the vaccine. 

“This is tremendous news for our university campus as we are now able to begin our first phase of inoculating first responders on campus and those who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials and are unable to work remotely,” said Dr. Fred Kam, director of the Auburn University Medical Clinic. 

Auburn has developed a three-phase vaccination program based on the highest risk level and the current information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Homeland Security and the Alabama Department of Public Health.

Auburn University's three phase plan for the distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine. Photo via: Auburn University

Wednesday saw Auburn start distributing the vaccine to “frontline” healthcare workers. The University plans to send out more information to the campus community soon on risk level assessment and scheduling appointments.

“As we await additional batches of the vaccine to be released by the Alabama Department of Public Health, we are quickly making good use of the vaccine we now have and are committed to making it available on a wider scale as quickly as possible," Dr. Kam said. 

While Auburn does not have an exact date on when its next shipment of the vaccine will arrive, they have been planning the vaccine’s acceptance and distribution as it becomes available for weeks.

The University will continue to update its COVID-19 Resource Center website and keep in contact with the Alabama Department of Health to prepare for the release of additional doses.

Auburn had previously identified ultracold storage equipment, which helped eliminate any barriers in accepting the Universities doses. 

Health care providers on campus will help at the vaccination clinics, including the Auburn University Medical Clinic, the Harrison School of Pharmacy, Auburn School of Nursing and Auburn’s Social Work Program.  

“The goal here is not to hold on to any doses,” Dr. Kam said. “The goal is to give up every dose that we can as quickly as we can.”

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Auburn receives its first doses of the COVID vaccine ” on social media.