Harsin bringing Mike Bobo in as OC

<p>South Carolina's Mike Bobo | Photo via SEC Media Portal</p>

South Carolina's Mike Bobo | Photo via SEC Media Portal

Mike Bobo is coming to the Plains as Auburn's next offensive coordinator, the program announced on Thursday.

“I’ve wanted to work with Mike now for quite some time as he compliments the many things we want to do with our offense,” said Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin. “We are going to be very versatile in what we do and Mike’s offensive background speaks for itself. I’m really excited to combine forces with Mike as we create the Auburn offense, a high-powered, attacking and physical unit that will come at you in many ways.”

Bobo was most recently the offensive coordinator and later the interim head coach at South Carolina during the 2020 season.

“I have a great amount of respect for Coach Harsin, both as a coach and as a person,” Bobo said. “I competed against him for five years as a head coach and we’ve talked ball on numerous occasions over the years. I know what he’s about and his commitment to excellence. I know that Auburn is a great community with a tremendous passion for and commitment to Auburn football. I’m excited to get started and look forward to helping Coach Harsin compete for championships.”

From 1994-97, Bobo played quarterback at the University of Georgia. Following the conclusion of his playing career, he went into coaching.

Bobo worked in an administrative role and as a graduate assistant with the Bulldogs after graduating before becoming an assistant coach at Jacksonville State for a season. 

He returned to Georgia in 2001 and served as Georgia's quarterbacks coach from 2001-06. Bobo became the program's offensive coordinator in 2007 and held the position through 2014.

In 2012, Bobo was named a finalist for the Broyles Award, given to the nation's best assistant coach. 

Following the 2014 season, Bobo got his first head coaching job at Colorado State. He coached the Rams from 2015-19 and finished with an overall record of 28-35. 

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Harsin bringing Mike Bobo in as OC” on social media.