Rocker returns to Auburn as defensive line coach

Dec 24, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Bryan Harsin arrives at the athletics complex for the first time before his press conference at Auburn. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Dec 24, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Bryan Harsin arrives at the athletics complex for the first time before his press conference at Auburn. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Yet another Auburn football alum will join new head coach Bryan Harsin’s staff.

Tracy Rocker will be returning to the Plains for his second stint as an assistant with the Tigers. The former two-time All-American will reprise his role from Auburn’s 2009-2010 season as the team’s defensive line coach.

“I’m excited about coming back to Auburn to work with Coach Harsin and the staff he has put together,” Rocker said. “In my visits with Coach Harsin, he has shared a clear vision for the program and I’m looking forward to helping put that vision in place. I have great memories as a player and coach at Auburn and can’t wait to create more in the future.”

Success has followed Rocker wherever he’s gone, be that as a player or coach. In his time at Auburn, the College Football Hall-of-Famer became the first SEC player to win both the Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy in the same season. 

As a coach, Rocker has coached on four conference championship squads – 2010 SEC at Auburn; 1999 and 2000 at Troy and 2002 Conference USA at Cincinnati.

“Tracy Rocker is one of Auburn’s all-time great players and has a wealth of experience coaching and in the Southeastern Conference,” Harsin said. “He understands what a championship team looks like and knows what it takes to be successful at the highest level. We’re excited to welcome back Tracy to the Auburn family.”

Rocker spent the 2020 season at South Carolina after two seasons (2018-19) at Tennessee. He has also logged Division I stints at Georgia (2014-16), Auburn (2009-10), Ole Miss (2008), Arkansas (2003-07), Cincinnati (2002), and Troy (1997-01). 

He also spent three seasons in the NFL with the Tennessee Titans (2011-13). He mentored the defensive line in each of those stops but was also given the title of associate head coach while at Georgia in 2015.

Share and discuss “Rocker returns to Auburn as defensive line coach” on social media.