Bobby Pierce's heroics help Tigers sweep Presbyterian

Feb 21, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; The team reacts after winning run during the game between Auburn and Presbyterian at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Jacob Taylor/AU Athletics

After a game dominated by pitching and defense, Bobby Pierce was the hero for Auburn on Sunday with an RBI single to walk it off in the tenth inning as the Tigers completed the sweep of Presbyterian with a 2-1 victory. 

The Auburn bats were quiet for most of the game, with only one run on six hits and six walks. The middle of the order, Bryson Ware, Rankin Woley and Tyler Miller finished 2-for-13 on the day.

The stalemate was broken in the sixth inning when Steven Williams scored on a sacrifice fly to left field from Brody Moore, who reached on an error.

“We’re going to have to adjust at some point if we want to grow as an offense.” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We’re going to have to figure out how to get our barrel on different spots of the ball.”

Despite the quiet bats, the Tigers drew six walks on the day, along with one hit by pitch. This was a big turnaround from the day before where they didn’t log a single base on balls.

Despite plenty of danger from the Blue Hose's bats, Mason Barnett threw four scoreless innings. Over the course of Sunday's 10 innings, the Auburn pitching staff only allowed one earned run. That run came in the 7th and happened on an error in right field by Josh Hall. 

Cam Hill came in to pitch for the Tigers in the 10th and notched a 1-2-3 inning in his first appearance.

Pierce's walk-off RBI was only his second at-bat as a Tiger and the only earned run of the day against the Presbyterian pitchers. He pinch-hit for Bryson Ware, who was 0-for-4 with three strikeouts on the day. 

Rankin Woley hit a liner down the third-base line to reach second and was driven in by Pierce.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Bobby Pierce's heroics help Tigers sweep Presbyterian” on social media.