Walmart administers COVID vaccines

<p>Walmart will be administering COVID vaccines in 22 states at over 1,000 Walmart and Sam's Club locations.</p>

Walmart will be administering COVID vaccines in 22 states at over 1,000 Walmart and Sam's Club locations.

Starting Feb. 12, Walmart and Sam’s Club locations throughout the state will start administering COVID-19 vaccines. Locations will be subject to the state’s guidelines on who can currently receive a vaccine.

Walmart is currently the only pharmacy partner administering the vaccine in Alabama.

“Ninety percent of the country lives within 10 miles of a Walmart,” said Executive Vice President of Health and Wellness Dr. Cheryl Pegus. “We’re at the heart of many rural and underserved communities, and we are committed to providing access to vaccines as groups become eligible. Vaccinations to achieve widespread immunity are important for re-opening across the country. We’re proud to work together with the federal government, states, communities, customers and associates to reach that goal.”

According to the Alabama Department of Public Health, current eligibility goes to healthcare providers, nursing home residents, law enforcement officers, firefighters, anyone 65 years or older and “additional groups of critical workers.”

Vaccines will be given by Walmart pharmacists. Potential vaccine recipients have to schedule an appointment beforehand. The amount of available appointments should correspond to the amount of vaccines available at that time.

A membership is not required to get vaccinated at a Sam’s Club.

There is no given timeframe for vaccine availability. Also, vaccine rollout to different locations may be staggered.

Vaccines will be administered in Auburn from Walmart’s East University Drive, South College Street and Shug Jordan Parkway locations and the Sam’s Club on Bent Creek Road. They will also be administered at Walmart’s Pepperell Parkway location in Opelika and Highway 80 and Highway 280/431 locations in Phenix City.

Walmart plans to open offsite vaccination clinics for areas without a store.

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “Walmart administers COVID vaccines” on social media.