Freshman triplets join Auburn's chorus

<p>Becca, Will and Hays Jones continue their passion for music together in Auburn's Women's Chorus and Men's Chorus.</p>

Becca, Will and Hays Jones continue their passion for music together in Auburn's Women's Chorus and Men's Chorus.

Music is known for being uniting and, for the Jones, it seems to carry that effect.

Becca, Will and Hays Jones are freshmen triplets in the Auburn University Women’s Chorus and Men’s Chorus. 

Becca Jones, freshman in music education, said she loved growing up as a triplet. It was such a unique experience because they have so many similar experiences and interests, but they have very different personalities and identities, she said. 

“Our mom is a music teacher at an elementary school in our hometown,” Becca said. “She introduced us to music at a young age and I fell in love with performing from the beginning.”

She said music has been a part of all three of their lives from a very young age, but they all went on an individual musical journey in middle school. 

“I loved singing, dancing and being in the spotlight,” Becca said. “Especially when getting to do all those things on stage next to my brothers.”

Later, Becca went on to do musical theatre and show choir in high school.

“I love musical theatre and show tunes,” Becca said. “I love the art behind the lyricism and how the whole process shares a story.”

Becca said she plans on being a music teacher after college. She enjoys the creativity involved in being in the classroom and has a love for teaching, she said. 

“Music will consume most of my life in the best way possible,” Becca said.

Although they all started learning music at the same time, Will Jones, freshman in exploratory, said it wasn’t until he started playing the saxophone that he really enjoyed music and wanted to pursue it further. 

“I officially joined choir in 7th grade and it was kind of just a spur of the moment decision,” Will said.

However, Will said he also has experience in musical theatre, like his sister.

“I started doing musical theatre in 2018 and participated in many different shows at my high school,” Will said. “ I was Scuttle in 'The Little Mermaid,' The Baker in 'Into the Woods,' Captain Von Trapp in 'The Sound of Music,' and I was supposed to be Amos Hart in 'Chicago' but unfortunately it got cancelled due to COVID-19.”

Will said while he can’t picture music being his career in the future, it will always be a part of his life in some form. 

Hays Jones, freshman in finance, said he started getting more serious about music in 6th grade when he became a band member at his school. He played percussion and he said he grew to love playing the snare drum.

“Being surrounded by music from such a young age helped me to enjoy it so much,” Hays said. “My mom had lots of random instruments that were super fun to play in her classroom, and that made music fun for me.”

Hays said that he also really enjoys musical theatre, and was involved in it in high school along with show choir. 

“It's extremely versatile and can be both technical and moving or whimsical and fun,” Hays said.

In regard to music being a part of his life in the future, he said he would like to be involved in worship at a church or join an ensemble. 

“I’m so excited to continue to be involved with the choral department at Auburn,” Hays said. 

Abby Winskowicz | Lifestyle Writer

Abby Winskowicz, sophomore in communication, is a lifestyle writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Freshman triplets join Auburn's chorus” on social media.