Experience is key for Tashawn Manning and Auburn offensive line

Nick Brahms (52), Marquis Burks (92), Tashawn Manning (56)
Auburn football practice/scrimmage on Thursday, March 25, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Nick Brahms (52), Marquis Burks (92), Tashawn Manning (56) Auburn football practice/scrimmage on Thursday, March 25, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Before 2020, no member of the Auburn offensive line had started a game for the Tigers besides Nick Brahms.  Although the unit had some tough moments last year, the playing time was still very valuable.

“It definitely helped us settle into the position a little bit more,” offensive guard Tashawn Manning said. “Just because of the experience we had last year.”

Auburn’s offensive line has been trying to get positions settled, as they have moved some guys around the line, as Manning mentioned that he has played both guard positions this spring. 

Auburn hired new offensive line coach Will Friend after the season, and Friend is a guy that the players have quickly come to like.

“He’s a great guy,” Manning said. “Real big on technique, playing hard and playing tough, he always wants us to play tough.” 

Manning also mentioned that Friend has put a big emphasis on pass blocking during the spring.

Center Nick Brahms is the most experienced linemen on the Tigers roster, and the line has depended on him for leadership.

“He’s been our leader on the o-line,” Manning said. “Making sure everyone is going in the right direction. Right now he’s been our unit leader so far.”

In addition to the guys that played last year, some younger guys could potentially play a role on the offensive line next year.

“Our young guys, Kameron Stutts and Tate Johnson,” Manning said. “They’ve been coming along very well this spring, and I think they’re going to help us out a lot this year.”

Now with a full season of SEC games under their belt, there is good reason to feel optimistic about the offensive line going into the fall.

“I feel good about this group,” Manning said. “We got a bunch of hard workers. We are going to get this thing done.

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Experience is key for Tashawn Manning and Auburn offensive line” on social media.