AU President Jay Gogue announces plans to retire

<p>Auburn University President Jay Gogue speaks during&nbsp;a reception celebrating his legacy&nbsp;on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn University President Jay Gogue speaks during a reception celebrating his legacy on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala. 

Auburn University President Jay Gogue is looking to retire for a second time.

Gogue said at Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting that he is looking to leave the position soon, suggesting that the Trustees begin a search for a new president.

“I think it’s important for you guys to begin to think about a search for a new president,” Gogue said. “I’ve been back a couple of years, and I think it’s probably time for me to do that.”

Gogue said he will wait to retire until after the Board of Trustees have formed a search committee and found a candidate for the position. 

Normally, that process takes months, he said, meaning he could retire “conceivably by January,” while the “longest would probably be next May."

Initially, Gogue’s current stint as president was supposed to be temporary, but in February 2020, the Board of Trustees decided to remove the interim tag from his title.

Gogue previously served as president of Auburn from 2007–2017 and is also a two-time graduate of the University.

“I’m getting older,” Gogue said. “I was telling some people the other day, when you’re 15 years old it takes forever to get 16 to drive a car, but when you get my age ... it comes a lot quicker.”

Gogue said he plans to stay in Auburn after he retires.

Wayne T. Smith, appointed as chairman of the executive committee on Friday, will head the presidential search.

“I know he will oversee the process with great transparency and respect for all stakeholders,” said Bob Dumas, newly appointed president pro tempore of the Board of Trustees.

Dumas went on to thank Gogue for his service to the University.

“President Gogue, you have served incredibly well twice, and we will miss you greatly," Dumas said. "I have great confidence however that we will find an excellent leader to follow after.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “AU President Jay Gogue announces plans to retire” on social media.