Auburn volleyball seeks first 5-0 start since 2012

Volleyball AU vs Southeastern Louisiana
Volleyball AU vs Southeastern Louisiana

Playing for the first time this week since their match-up against New Orleans was called off, the Auburn Tigers are looking to remain hot when they face off against the University of North Alabama for the first time in program history. 

Having the best start to a season since 2015, the last time Auburn began 4-0, the Tigers are looking to remain undefeated while they continue to hold home-court advantage against their opponents. Their most recent match was a three-set sweep of Southeastern Louisiana last Friday, Sept. 3.  

While North Alabama is only coming into the match with a record of 2-5, it's entering the match-up coming off a win against Alcorn State on Saturday, Sept. 4.  

As the match is set to start off at 6 p.m. CST Thursday night, here are some of the key players to watch in the upcoming game. 

Auburn

Rebekah Rath (Outside Hitter) - Coming into this match as this week’s SEC Offensive Player of the Week, the junior transfer from Maryland is bringing big things to Auburn on the court. Rath has led the Tigers every match in kills with a season total of 63. For things to go Auburn’s way Thursday night, the Tigers need Rath to be productive at the net.  

Tatum Shipes (Middle Blocker/Outside Hitter) - Even though she does not produce the most kills for the Tigers, having the veteran Shipes at the net is imperative for Auburn’s success. Where she lacks kills, she makes up for by having a team-high 23 total blocks on the front row.   

Jackie Barrett (Setter) - The key to the hitters’ success is the team-high 96 assists the sophomore Barrett has dished out so far in only four matches. Already on her way to passing her total assists from last season’s eight games (144), Barrett remains a factor in the incredible success of Auburn’s front row. Barrett continues to also be an important playing by being able to contribute kills, blocks, and digs.  

Defensive Specialists Auburn's defensive specialists, mainly consisting of senior libero Bella Rosenthall and freshmen Fallan Lanham and Kate Curtis, have been imperative for the overall success of Auburn. So far, Rosenthall has collected a team-high of 64 digs. Lanham and Curtis are also contributing their fair share of digs with 23 and 20 each, respectively. 

North Alabama

Katy Floyd (Outside Hitter) - Just a freshman, Floyd is already leading the Lions this season in kills. She is also averaging the most points per set this season with 3.16. For the Lions to have a real battle with the Tigers, Floyd will need to be focused and productive at the net.  

Anna Katherine Griggs (Middle Blocker) - The junior Griggs has a second-best team total of 54 kills. She has also racked up the most blocks for the Lions, with a team-high of 22. Her skills in both attacking and blocking will be necessary for competing with Auburn’s heavy hitters during the match.  

Setters Splitting time this season in the setter position, junior Breylee Linder and freshman Camryn Kling each have 128 and 104 assists, respectively. The two setters are mainly responsible for the even and high count of kills so far in the season for North Alabama. For the Lion’s offense to be effective against the Tigers, each setter will need to be on their game to connect the ball with attackers for the best chances to score points.  

Tatum Fouche (Libero) - Also a freshman, Fouche is already leading the Lions with a team-high 66 digs. As the Tigers are swinging well at the net, the defensive specialist will need to be ready for many kill attempts throughout the night. Fouche is well up for the task, her statistics up there with more senior liberos. 

Areas to Watch

Front Row: Even though the Tigers are sporting a perfect record, the Lions have a more evenly distributed front row, with three players racking up over 50 kills and two racking up over 30 kills. So far, the Tigers have relied on two arms for the start of the season, with one having 61 kills and the other 46. The Tigers will need to distribute their attacks across the front row in order to match up to the more even Lions. Otherwise, the Lions will be looking to shut down the Auburn kill leader in Rath at the net early in the match.  

Record: Right now, the Tigers have a perfect 4-0 record. They have also won a perfect 12 sets so far in the season. Auburn has not had a season start this well since 2009, where they also swept four straight matches to open the season. With some of the offensive numbers that North Alabama has produced so far, dismissing their current record, this match will certainly put the Tigers to the test.  

The start of the match between Auburn and North Alabama will start at 6 p.m. CST, at Auburn Arena. It will be broadcast on SEC Network-plus. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball seeks first 5-0 start since 2012” on social media.