Ed Orgeron planning for possibility of seeing two quarterbacks

<p>LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron walks down Victory Hill with his team Saturday, April 17, 2021 where the LSU football white team defeated purple 23-14 during their spring game at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. Credit: Abby Kibler / The Reveille</p>

LSU football head coach Ed Orgeron walks down Victory Hill with his team Saturday, April 17, 2021 where the LSU football white team defeated purple 23-14 during their spring game at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. Credit: Abby Kibler / The Reveille

LSU head coach Ed Orgeron gave high praises to Auburn before the upcoming game. 

Both Auburn and LSU are coming off of wins prior to the matchup on Saturday. LSU beat Mississippi State 28-25 in Starkville, while Auburn had a more surprising game against Georgia State. Auburn had a comeback in the final quarter to take down the Panthers 34-24. The credit for the game-winning touchdown went to second-string quarterback T.J. Finley. 

Coincidental enough, Finley is a transfer from none other than LSU. Finley is originally from Louisiana, which is part of the reason why he spent his first year at LSU. The transfer portal gave him a high playing probability, however, and he left the bayou and headed for the Plains. 

“T.J. came and talked to me like a man in my office and he didn’t want to leave,” Orgeron said. “He was crying. LSU meant a lot to him, but it was a decision that was made and it was best for him. He left and it looks like he’s doing well. We wish him the best, obviously against us. T.J. is always going to be a part of our family. After the game, we’re going to shake hands.”

Finley went 9-for-16 covering 97 yards in his performance against Georgia State. Starting quarterback Bo Nix went 13-for-27 over 156 yards. Nix, however, failed to get a touchdown. 

Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin said it has not been determined which of two will start against LSU in his press conference on Monday. 

“You just have to have a plan,” Orgeron said. “You have to see what Bo does well and what T.J. does well. I don’t think the run game is going to change. I don’t think the pass protection is going to change, it may. They may move one quarterback a little more than the other."

When it comes to the two quarterbacks, Orgeron is prepared no matter who he sees behind center. His defensive plan will be based on the throwing stye of both Finley and Nix. 

"Obviously, we know very well how T.J. throws the ball, which is excellent," Orgeron said. "He has a cannon for an arm. We know Bo’s throwing style so I think it’s more or less what type of passing game they’re going to have on both of those guys.”

Auburn has two stars rushing that Orgeron gave lots of praise to, Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. Against Georgia State, the two rushed for 68 and 63 yards, respectively, with a nine-yard loss combined. 

“I’m a big fan of Tank,” Orgeron said. “I tried to recruit Tank here, love him. I think he’s an excellent running back. He runs at a low-pad level...we’re going to have to tackle. We’re going to have to get ward of him. We’re going to have to gang tackle him. He pulls a problem. He’s a really good running back and a really good young man.”

The  game will take place in Death Valley with an 8 p.m. CST kickoff. Memorable moments have happened in this matchup, like the ‘Burning Barn’ and the game that ‘caused an earthquake’ to name a few. Death Valley is known for its loudness and intense environment. This is something the home Tigers will hope to harness against Auburn. 

“I can’t wait, eight o’clock in Tiger Stadium,” Orgeron said. “We’ve had some battles with Auburn. It’s always a great game and it’s going to be another great game.”

Auburn kicks off in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on Oct. 2 at 8 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on ESPN. 

Mattison Allen | Assistant Sports Editor

Mattison is a senior majoring in Public Relations from Springville, Alabama. She has been part of The Auburn Plainsman since 2019. 

Twitter: @mattcurtlynn

Share and discuss “Ed Orgeron planning for possibility of seeing two quarterbacks” on social media.