Zakoby McClain likes to 'hit hard'

<p>Auburn Tigers linebacker Zakoby McClain (9) reacts during the second half against the Mississippi Rebels at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct 24, 2020; Oxford, Mississippi, USA. Photo via: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports</p>

Auburn Tigers linebacker Zakoby McClain (9) reacts during the second half against the Mississippi Rebels at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct 24, 2020; Oxford, Mississippi, USA. Photo via: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

With 13 minutes remaining in Auburn’s game against Penn State, linebacker Zakoby McClain was ejected for targeting.

While going in for a hit on Penn State wide receiver Parker Washington, McClain’s shoulder and helmet collided with Washington’s helmet for a big hit on the 1-yard line. 

Down 21-20, McClain was trying to prevent a score as he crashed into Washington. The SEC crew working the game called targeting on McClain and he was ejected. Since the call happened in the second half, he also was subject to being suspended for the first half of the team’s next game against Georgia State.

During last week’s disastrous first half against Georgia State, McClain could only watch as his team went into halftime down 24-12.

“I was kind of down, kind of sad,” McClain said. “We weren’t doing well. In the second half, I just took out all my anger out on the field.”

Before McClain’s entrance in the second half, the Panthers had tallied a season-high 24 points in just one half and had almost 300 yards of offense. When McClain came back however, the Panthers did not score once and were held to under 100 yards. 

Following McClain’s ejection, an eruption ensued online and around the college football world. Most fans at home watching the game saw the replays of McClain’s hit, claiming that the shoulder made first contact with Washington’s helmet and did not warrant a targeting penalty. 

McClain took to Twitter a day after the Penn State game, saying jokingly that he should have let Washington score at the goal line, instead of trying to make a stop.

Following the backlash and upheaval from analysists, players and coaches alike, the targeting rule is going to be examined and potentially reviewed after the season by the NCAA. McClain likes that idea.

“It means a lot because I like to hit hard,” McClain said. “My head might hit a person. It will be good to see more big hits. I like seeing people get hit. I like hitting hard.”

This coming Saturday, Auburn will travel to Baton Rouge to take on LSU. Auburn has not won in Death Valley since 1999 and when asked about his upcoming competition, McClain gave an honest answer.

“[LSU] be trying to chop people,” McClain said. “I don’t like being chopped.”

Both McClain and linebacker Owen Pappoe, who missed Saturday due to injury, will be full-go for Saturday.

Auburn currently is a three-point underdog to LSU. The battle of the SEC-West Tigers will be Saturday at 8 p.m. CST on ESPN. 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Zakoby McClain likes to 'hit hard'” on social media.