Film room: Game-winning drive against Georgia State

In this weekly series, Logan Glover takes a look at key plays in the latest Auburn football game.

Auburn entered its final three and a half minutes versus Georgia State with its backs against the wall. Starting on their own 2-yard line, the Tigers went 98 yards for a touchdown to seal the deal and avoid an upset. T.J. Finley took the field in the third quarter, relieving Bo Nix as the primary quarterback in the game. Let's break down how it all went down.

The first play of the drive looks to be a dive play at first glance. With the Georgia State linebackers committing to the dive and no push happening on the offensive line, Jarquez Hunter uses a counter step to change his direction to the right side. With the help of John Samuel Shenker, who gave the initial block on the right side, and Malcom Johnson Jr., who blocked his man on the outside, it led to a gain of 18 yards on the play.

With two and a half minutes remaining, Auburn faced a third-and-11 from its own 19-yard line. The ball is snapped, protection looks to be fine on what looks to be an out route from the slot by Kobe Hudson. T.J. Finley is a bit slot on the play, but is able to hit Hudson for a first down. This is a hard play for Georgia State to stop while in man coverage and Hudson executing his route perfectly.

On a second-and-2 from the Auburn 42-yard line, a big run from Finley moved the ball into enemy territory. Finley is able to check down one of his receivers before receiving pressure from the middle of the offensive line. It looks like the opposing defensive line ran a stunt, causing this run to unfold. Finley notices Georgia State's linebackers have backed off, giving him room to run. A quick fake move extends the play further for Finley.

With 90 seconds left, Auburn is on Georgia State's 42-yard line on a seconnd-and-10. Finley tries to step into the pocket, but is met with a player being pancaked by offensive lineman Brandon Council. Moving to the outside, Finley is met by more Georgia State players that break off their lineman. A throw is made for the first down marker and Elijah Canion contorts his body to catch this ball. Everything happens at the perfect time, as Canion is able to tip-toe the catch before falling out of bounds.

Now, for the most controversial play of the game. Auburn has a first down from the Georgia State 30-yard line, with just over a minute to go in the game. The ball is snapped and Finley receives adequate protection from the offensive line, slinging the ball to a place that only Shenker could catch. The ball is caught, but undergoes an official review. The booth rules it as a completion, with Shenker getting his hand underneath the ball. This sets up a first-and-goal in the red zone for Auburn

After overthrowing an open Kobe Hudson on third down, Auburn sets up again for one final play from the 10-yard line. It's fourth-and-9, Finley drops back but is immediately met with pressure from the Georgia State defensive line. Finley is able to change direction, looking like he nearly slipped in the process. He runs back the other way, running into Keiondre Jones, the right guard. Before being hit, Finley launches the ball into the end zone and Shedrick Jackson jumps up, making the game-winning grab.

Share and discuss “Film room: Game-winning drive against Georgia State” on social media.